Hi,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 12:04, Wouter de Vos <hukab...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Users,
>
> After some mails with Vincent and Scott the idea was born to make a
> strip-down-xwiki guide.
> The reason for this is the fact that for a lot of novice users, xwiki seems
> at the first glance to complex to handle.
> By making a strip-down Guide we hope to make Xwiki more accessible for a
> broader audience, and thus generate more users worldwide.

I think this relates to an older XWiki Flavors idea
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-356
where XWiki should adapt and serve just a specific need*:
- Public Website;
- CMS;
- Simple Wiki;
- Structured Wiki;
- Advanced Enterprise Wiki;
- Dev Platform;
- Administrable System.
* categories provided by Sergiu Dumitriu

What would be interesting regarding this topic is that each one responding
to this mail should select a category where he fits and talk about the
configuration, features he needs in order for XWiki to be the perfect tool
for that case.

> In order to make this strip-down Guide as complete as possible, I would
> like
> to ask all of you to post your thoughts and ideas on this.
> For starters, here are mine, if they are allready easily solved, let me
> know:
>
> -Make the search function easier to adapt.
> For instance, I have multiple spaces, and i want that the search function
> only searches in certain, predifened spaces and shows the results within
> the
> space the search was started from.

Could be resolved by having an "advanced search" tool based on filters.

http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/Forms ?

> -An easy way to show-hide the comments box on the bottom of the page. At
> the
> moment I use a solution where I include a document with the script to do
> this in, in every page. This should be dealt with globally, and possible
> for
> people without a lot of programming knowledge.

Hide the entire comment tab or just the box?
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XAADMINISTRATION-239

> -The sandgrains work, but not from one space to another, at the moment I
> use
> the include Makro to maintain my saindgrain navigation intact, but it would
> be far easier if documents from other spaces where I link to, adapt the
> parent from the space where I started from.

Not sure what you are talking about: backlinks mechanism? breadcrumbs? page
parent?

> -The Logo has a predefined link to the main wiki, which causes endusers in
> space, when they click on this, to get to the main wiki page, and it
> confuses them. I would like an easy way (not by editing the global.vm
> template!) to personalize this.

Having the logo point to the homepage is a well known, globally used pattern
http://www.welie.com/patterns/showPattern.php?patternID=home . I wouldn't
want to change that.

> -A wide spread opinion says, that you can just give users rights to certain
> documents. But if an enduser can see a document, but not open it, the
> endusers feels as if there are secrets kept from him. I want an easier way
> to hide these documents completey, but show them to other users who are
> allowed to see them in the same space.

Yes, this could be improved.

> -Expand and collaps user generated panels
> If I create panels, their initial state is allways open, I can close them,
> but when I go to anothere page, it shows the panels open again. Is it
> possible to make check box within each panel in the panel wizard that
> allows
> me to change this?

This depends on the situation. Maybe it should remember the state if
expanding is allowed, but actually I think panels should be better
integrated in the skin (not with such an independent feel) and be more
related to the content (having this way no need to collapse them).

> Many of these points here may seem irrelevant to many of the longtime
> developers, but a lot of questions within this userlist have to do with the
> usability.

I think that the problems you mentioned are just specific use cases and do
not actually creates a minimal list of things that can be configurable and
selected within XWiki. I would rather be interested in the things you use
and could be part of the configuration.

Thanks,
Caty