Vincent and Wouter -- thanks for the great responses.  I'll try to take your
advice and tweak just a space for normal users.

One thing I've identified that would be nice, but I don't know how to do...
I'd like the Document Metadata panel that is below the content panel to _not_
appear, unless someone selects Comments, Annotations, Attachments, History,
Information in the top right corner of the content panel.  I think this must be
possible, the reason, why else would there be two ways to navigate to it -- top
right of content _and_ tabs on meta panel.  (I'm aware of turning off each Doc
Metadata tab from the Page Elements... but I don't want them off, just not
expanded out.)

^ That would simplify the look quite a bit.

I've started some notes so I can reproduce what I'm doing at some point:
(scripting myself)

Create a new group "Wiki Users"
Create some users as Wiki Users
Login as them to see what a non-admin sees
Probably have 2 different browsers to keep flipping back and forth
Create a new Space, one which will be the normal user's default
Keep default skin so you don't stray from supported world
Go to Administer Wiki -> Look & Feel
Presentation you can change the color of the default skin
Page Elements -> turn off left panel, turn on right panel, etc
Panel Wizard -> choose what you want in the right panel

There are more things I'd like to do:
Backlinks has redundant pages something like " | sort | uniq" is needed.  A bug?
Add Search in right panel and remove X-WIKI header of page.  Header must be
somewhere in the skin?

Thanks guys -- I hope to help out with the "minimal config" page.