Ok, I guess I found some kind of a bug.
While working on restoring my Wiki manually (restore deleted documents in
old space, revise links, delete pages in new space) I ended up being unable
to delete a page with attachments.
The root error is
   com.mysql.jdbc.PacketTooBigException: Packet for query is too large
(37285720 > 33554432)
(see attached log for full
http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/file/n6862011/DeletePageFailure.txt
DeletePageFailure.txt  stack trace)
and it occurs when we try to store the deleted page in
[com.xpn.xwiki.doc.XWikiDeletedDocument]
I guess the problem is that if e.g. max_allowed_packet 30MB then we can
upload 10 files of 30MB in size. But when we later delete the page and it
gets stored into recycle bin, max allowed packet is still 30MB while the
page is treated as one with all its attachments thus weighing 300MB causing
this error.

Is my assumption correct?