One of the use cases I have for my wiki is storing 'issues', where
each issue should have a serial number consisting of year + subsequent
number.

I was thinking about a script like this, but one of the problems is:
there is no 'while' function in Velocity.

How would you create a form for this? Thanks for your ideas!

Joris

#set($space="Issues"}
#set($template="AppSpace.IssueTemplate")
#set($parent=$space.WebHome)
#set($year= ${xwiki.formatDate($datetool.date, 'yyyy')})
#set($partID="0"
#set($genericID=$space"."$year)

#while($xwiki.exists($space.$issueID'')
{
#set($partID=$partID+1)
#set($issueID=$year"-"$partID)
}

  #if(!$xwiki.exists($issueID) && $xwiki.hasAccessLevel('edit',
$context.user, $issueID))
    $response.sendRedirect($xwiki.getURL($ID, 'inline',
"template=$template}&parent=$parent"))
    ## Stop processing, since we already sent a redirect.
    #stop
  #end