I just did something like this.  I am just a novice at XWiki but I was able to
figure out how to create a filter page and get it to work.

On the page that I needed the filter results I did this:

{{velocity}}
#set($originalMsg = $msg)
#set($msg = $services.dynamicMessageToolFactory.createDynamicMessageTool($msg, {
  'canogaviewreleasetracker.livetable.doc.name':
$msg.get('platform.appwithinminutes.liveTableEditorDocNameColumnName')
}))
#set($columnsProperties = {
  'doc.name': {'type': 'text', 'link': 'view', 'size': 10, 'filterable': true,
'sortable': true}
})
#set($options = {
  'resultPage' : 'CanogaView.CORE_2_2_4_ReleaseFilterJSON',
  'translationPrefix': 'canogaviewreleasetracker.livetable.',
  'rowCount': 15,
  'maxPages': 10,
  'selectedColumn': '_actions',
  'defaultOrder': 'asc'
})
#set($columns = ['doc.name'])
#livetable('canogaviewreleasetracker' $columns $columnsProperties $options)
#set($msg = $originalMsg)
{{/velocity}}

The important point is the "resultPage".   From the page
"CoanogaView.CORE_2_2_4_ReleaseFilterJSON", I have this:

{{include document="XWiki.LiveTableResultsMacros" /}}

{{velocity}}
#gridresultwithfilter("CanogaView Release
Tracker.CanogaViewReleaseTrackerClass" $request.collist.split(",") "" " and
doc.name like 'CORE 2.2.4%'")
{{/velocity}}

So what this filter is doing is filtering on the "doc.name" that begins with
"CORE 2.2.4".   Hopefully you can extrapolate from this.

Brett