On Jun 29, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Arioch wrote:

>> XWiki Syntax is a superset of the Creole syntax so yo may think it works
>
> So even if i would use that superset, it would not halt conversion, but
> would rather damage markup (turn markup into regular text) ?
>
> I think if such, that conversion should be prohibited by engine

There's NO conversion.

>> Sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.
>
> The goals and expected features are different for different applications.
> To me wiki is for quick and easy dropping and exchanging the notes.
> Fancy style is secondary.
> Fancy unique styles for different paragraphs is even not a minor feature but
> rather a way to make noise more than signal.
> Particularly - there is no place for custom CSS for it was not designed for
> average human to easily change. I would not say about errors(or intended
> harm) like white text on white background.
> Wiki is not HTML and for that very reason Wiki is not CSS.

Why are you talking about styles? I just gave that as an example but there are
plenty of other examples we can take. for example not all wiki markups support
interwiki links, or even mixing bulleted and numbered list, etc.

> If the goal is to make cute-looking web application or system to make easy
> editable cute looking user help, then full support for HTML/CSS is very good
> to have. I'd even better supported LESS than pure CSS. But then Wiki
> features would be limited. You just cannot edit wiki-style all that visual
> stuff. You can never hope to get in Creole all the visual power of CSS3.
>
> I think wiki interoperability and visual richness for applications are
> diverging trends and they ultimately would be mutually exclusive.

You have 2 choices:
* Go the Confluence way and drop wiki markup as they've just done
* Go the XWiki way and have a wiki markup expressive enough so that it still
fullfils its role of being quick to add data and also support most if not all
what HTML supports

We chose the second one.

But again, that's not a problem, the main problem is that there's no Creole
Renderer written so you cannot convert to Creole syntax in XWiki ATM.