Hello,

On 09/21/12 08:00, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
Hi Ray,

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM, ray ye <ray...@ddaysoft.com> wrote:
Hi All,
     Two WYSIWYG editors were included in XWiki --   tinyMCE and GWT-based.

I understand that
1. tinyMCE  was used at the very beginning, and later GWT-based was
used to replace tinyMEC because tinyMCE was buggy, and its performance
was not good (at the time)
2. the version for tinyMCE included in XWiki 4.1.4 is 2.0.6.1 released
on 2006-05-04 ( I checked the code ), and the latest version is 3.5.7
release on 2012-09-20.

My questions are:
1. have any one revisit later release of tinyMCE, since lots have
changed over the 6 years?
None that I know of.

2. for the GWT-based WYSIWYG  solution, is it developed by XWiki? and
Yes. See
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-wysiwyg

is there a  way that i can get WYSIWYG related codes only, and
integrate it into one of our internal project?
Yes, but not in a straightforward manner, for the moment. Jerome has
started to work on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7785 but didn't
had time to finish. The main issues to reuse the code are:

* a dependency on SmartGWT/SmartClient for one of the XWiki specific plugins
* XWiki specific plugins (Jerome started to move them in a separate
module I think). But you can choose to not load them from
configuration.

Indeed I haven't found the time to finish this move yet. It's almost there. I've stopped at the point where we need to decide what goes into internal and what remains API (because today almost everything is API, making backward compatibility complicated).

Another topic I've started to explore is how one could write plugins in JavaScript instead of Java for projects outside XWiki, but I've dropped it at some point and went back to Java because I wasn't making much progress.

This
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/WYSIWYG+Editor+Module#HUsetheWYSIWYGeditoroutsideXWiki
should work, if you also make sure SmartClient code is present..

Jerome did you push your changes somewhere? I could try to finish your
work when I find some time.

I have a branch on my fork, I'll check if everything is there.

Jerome

Thanks,
Marius

Thank you very much!