Hi Thilo,

As Guillaume Fenollar says, NTLM will require Microsoft protocols,
hence the need for Samba.
But if your objective is just to implement single sign on on Linux you
can go with other standards:

- CAS (more simple)
- Kerberos (complicated)

You just need to setup a CAS Server (there are open source
implementations see http://www.jasig.org/cas)
You need an Apache HTTPD CAS module
You then can use XWiki's AppServer Trusted Authentication

You can probably find a CAS Server that can authenticate on an LDAP Server

Ludovic

2012/9/12 Schmidt, Thilo (VZ) <thilo.schm...@vdek.com>:

> Thanks for the reply and link.
> It just seems to me that running tomcat, apache, samba, kerberos and winbind
> on a machine "just" to run a wiki is a little much, especially considering
> that I'm new to this unix/server world ;)
> Of course I'll do that if there isn't another way, i just have a hard time
> believing that there's no "simpler" solution to a very basic problem.
> To clarify: I only need users to log in automatically to the wiki, Checking
> against the AD would be a bonus, but I could just create the wiki-accounts by
> hand, as well.
>
> Intimidated by this strange world,
> Thilo
>
>> Hi Thilo,
>>
>> I worked a lot on this subject these two last days. But I only experimented
>> Kerberos, and Samba/Winbind/NTLM.
>> Why don't you want to install Samba? It's easier to make it work than a
>> Kerberos system (from what I saw). You have to install Samba, configure it,
>> install winbind, bind on a AD domain with an administrator, and finally
>> configure Apache to use this auth. You also need to be sure that your java
>> container won't try to authenticate itself. See:
>> http://adldap.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=seamless_authentication
>> if you haven't found this before.
>>
>> I don't know any other solution without using samba or krb.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Guillaume Fenollar
>> XWiki SAS
>>
>> 2012/9/11 Schmidt, Thilo (VZ) <thilo.schm...@vdek.com>
>>
>> > Hello,
>> > I'm trying to get some kind of NTLM authentication going on my Debian
>> > server, but got lost very early.
>> > I find mentions of working NTLM solutions in the archives as well as
>> > some fixes for an ominous "NTLM authenticator" (XCONTRIB-84) in Jira.
>> > I even found some installation-guide in the sandbox, but there seems
>> > to be no jar file.
>> >
>> > Is there some kind of working NTLM solution without installing
>> > kerberos or samba?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Thilo

Ludovic Dubost