From: users-boun...@xwiki.org [mailto:users-boun...@xwiki.org] On Behalf Of
Eduard Moraru
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 13:48 PM
To: XWiki Users
Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Annotations-comments merge validation

Hi Roman,

The 4.1.3 release had a couple of problems [1], including one that
unintentionally skipped the annotations migration. The 4.1.4 release fixed this
problem [2], amongst others, and it would be what I recommend you to use
instead of 4.1.3.

I`m not sure if your case fits into the problems specific to 4.1.3 (though it
probably does), but to test if you have annotations that respect the new
format, you could run this piece of velocity code:

{{velocity}}
New annotations: $services.query.hql(", BaseObject comment, BaseProperty
selection WHERE comment.name=doc.fullName AND
comment.className='XWiki.XWikiComments' AND selection.id.id=comment.id AND
selection.name='selection'").execute()
Old annotations: $services.query.hql(", BaseObject annotation WHERE
annotation.name=doc.fullName AND
annotation.className='AnnotationCode.AnnotationClass'").execute()
{{/velocity}}

It will list the documents that contain annotations in the new format and
documents that contain annotations in the old format (not migrated).
Basically the new format is XWiki.XWikiComments class instead of the old
AnnotationCode.AnnotationClass, with the addition that the XWikiComments
objects also have the "selection" property set to whatever was selected when
the annotation was made.

If it turns out that you have old annotations, then you need to check 2
things:
1) That you were not using a custom annotations class before the upgrade, that
is a class that is different from AnnotationsCode.AnnotationsClass
2) That you are not using a custom mapping for the comments If you are in one
of the 2 cases above, then you will not be able to migrate to merged
annotations and comments (ad keep using annotations as
before) because the migration does not support the 2 cases. See the Jira issue
[3] on this matter for more details.

If you are not in one of the 2 cases above, then you need to upgrade to
4.1.4 (or above) and to also force the annotations migration to run again.
To force the migration, once you have upgraded normally to 4.1.4, you have
to:
1) set your annotations class to AnnotationCode.AnnotationClass (By going into
Administration > Applications > Annotations > XWiki class defining annotations
structure)
2) edit xwiki.cfg and specify that you want to force the annotations migration
to be executed by adding the following line:
xwiki.store.migration.force=R40001XWIKI7540
2.1) also make sure that the migrations process itself is enabled
(xwiki.store.migration=1) and that it is enabled for all your wikis if you are
in a miltiwiki environment (xwiki.store.migration.databases=all)
3) restart your wiki and watch the logs as the migration should report that it
is being executed
4) check the results by running the velocity script from the first part of my
mail.
5) set your annotations class to XWiki.XWikiComments since this is what you
will be using from now on
5.1) you should also hide the annotations tab, if you did not already do so, by
going to "Administration > Look & Feel > Page Elemetns > Show document
annotations" and selecting "No".
6) edit xwiki.cfg and remove or comment the forced migration line to avoid
problems.

Hope this helps,
Eduard

[1]