On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Flatfender <flatfen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, thank you for that, the subspace thing is good to know. How I
> would set this up is now starting to puzzle me.
>
> So let's say I have 3 departments
>
> Engineering
> Hardware
> Software
>

> All three will collaborate on the same projects and may need access to
> the same wiki content, but all may also want private pages that are
> department specific.  So I guess if I didn't a separate wiki
> department, they could use interwiki links to reference project pages.
>  This would probably necessitate some people from each department
> being in the other departments wiki group.  But then if they created a
> private namespace, the people from the other department could see it.
> I could combat this by creating two wikigroups for each department,
> like wiki_engineering_public, and wiki_engineering_private.  Then only
> departmental members would be in the private group and namespaces
> could be in the private group to protect.
>
> Or I guess everything is public, and then group perms on the namespace
> to protect?
>
> The problem is that we're a pretty small company 250 people and most
> of the people are cross department/project functional.
>
> I'll look more at the perms side of things.

Not sure I understand the issue here.

First you should link link theses tree departments to corresponding XWiki
groups. Then you can setup access at wiki, space or even document level so
for example you can have setup as precise as having a space or a document
with read access to the 3 groups and write access to only one for example.