Indeed, it's not about XWiki (which is configured by default for UTF-8) but
about Tomcat and Mysql.

Tomcat configuration about utf-8 is in the connector.
See.<http://struts.apache.org/2.0.6/docs/how-to-support-utf-8-uriencoding-with-tomcat.html>
MySQL configuration is in /etc/my.cnf. Here a complete link about character
set and
collation<http://cameronyule.com/2008/07/configuring-mysql-to-use-utf-8/>.
We advise you utf-8 as character set, and utf8_bin as collation. If your
tables are already configured with latin1 or something else, you'll need to
convert your existing tables.

Regards,

Guillaume