If that is really the case then sticking xwiki in a tomcat container and
fronting with apache / mod_shib and using http authenticator is by far the simplest way to get SAML auth to your Xwiki.. this would take about a day or two assuming you have a working SAML environment Identity Provider /
Federation wise.

re/writing a true SAML compliant authenticator is (im going to bet) far
more time consuming.. you have to deal with all the constraints and bit
level SAML which is where the brunt of the security comes from.. and the
registration and management of metadata.. etc.. etc..

------
thanks
 kevin.foote