On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Following this thread http://markmail.org/thread/vw3derowozijqalr it seems
>> clear that we need to introduce a better syntax for links and images in
>> XWiki Syntax 2.2 (in order to cope with use cases such as
>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XRENDERING-290).
>>
>> The need is to be able to plug new reference type handlers without breaking
>> backward compatibility in XWiki Syntax 2.2 (since right now with XWiki
>> Syntax 2.0 and 2.1 adding a new type reference handler would break backward
>> compatibility).
>>
>> So here are various proposals to that effect for XWiki Syntax 2.2 (I've only
>> kept the interesting proposals from the previous thread). Please vote for
>> the one you prefer or add new solutions if you have other better ideas.
>>
>> Proposal 1
>> =========
>>
>> Force XWiki Syntax 2.2 to *ALWAYS* use the full form when creating a link or
>> image, i.e. all links would need to be written: [[label>>type:reference]]
>>
>> Examples:
>> * [[label>>doc:space.page]]
>> * [[label>>doc:wiki:space.page]]
>> * [[label>>path:/some/path]]
>> * [[label>>url:http://xwiki.org]]
>> * [[label>>user:evalica]]
>> * [[image:doc:wiki:space.p...@image.png]]
>> * [[image:icon:someicon.png]]
>>
>> CONS:
>> * Harder to write links to documents which is the main use case
>>
>> Proposal 2
>> =========
>>
>> Same as with XWiki Syntax 2.1 but for links or images to subwikis force the
>> user to use the "doc:" notation
>>
>> Examples:
>> * [[label>>space.page]] or [[label>>doc:space.page]]
>> * [[label>>doc:wiki:space.page]]
>> * [[label>>>path:/some/path]]
>> * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]] or [[label>>>url:http://xwiki.org]]
>> * [[label>>user:evalica]]
>> * [[image:doc:wiki:space.p...@image.png]]
>> * [[image:icon:someicon.png]]
>>
>> PRO:
>> * Still easy to reference docs and images in the current wiki
>> * Close to current XWiki Syntax 2.1
>>
>> CONS:
>> * Harder to write links to documents in subwikis (for workspaces users for
>> example, see example of xwiki.org)
>>
>> Proposal 3
>> =========
>>
>> Always define the type as a link or image parameter, i.e. separate subwiki
>> notation from type.
>>
>> Examples:
>> * [[label>>space.page]] or [[label>>space.page||type="doc"]]
>> * [[label>>wiki:space.page]] or [[label>>wiki:space.page||type="doc"]]
>> * [[label>>>/some/path||type="path"]]
>> * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]] or [[label>>>http://xwiki.org||type="url"]]
>> * [[label>>evalica||type="user"]]
>> * [[image:wiki:space.p...@image.png]] or
>> [[image:wiki:space.p...@image.png||type="doc"]]
>> * [[image:someicon.png||type="icon"]]
>>
>> PRO:
>> * Still easy to reference docs
>> * Clear separation between subwiki and types

Funny thing is that this proposal is compatible with xwiki/2.0 syntax.

>> CONS:
>> * Harder to write typed links
>> * Harder to write references in non xwiki/2.x syntax that would not support
>> link parameters
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Vincent

I'm more for proposals 1 and 3 for their clarity but I'm pretty sure
most people will hate have to put doc: everywhere so here is my +1 for
3 for now. But don't rush I would like to take some more time to think
about it.

--
Thomas Mortagne