On 12/20/2013 11:46 AM, Christophe Domas wrote:
> No, I didn't cancel it but I tried so many ways to migrate that I'm not
> sure anymore in which state is my wiki.
>
> If I copy data on a fresh installation of xwiki 5.3, can I run this wizard?
>
> If I export pages from my 5.1 xwiki and import them on a fesh install of
> xwiki 5.3, are the pages are migrated?
>
> Another question: it seems that the distribution wizard needs an internet
> access (the server has no access but the browser that displays the
> distribution wizard have it).

The distribution wizard need access to a XWiki repository server to access
the upgrade packages. In the default configuration indeed this needs internet
access
(for the server - never mind the browser triggering the update, that does not
help)

What the upgrader actually does is not upgrading the database structure of all
pages to a new database structure (this is something done at startup time by
the webapp,
if necessary), but instead upgrading the contents of some pages with newer
content.
You can think of these pages (quite a lot, but not all in the XWiki space)
as the "User interface" of the XWiki, which need to be updated when the "core
application"
(the webapp) is updated.

So e.g. if you export all you pages from an 5.1 instance and import them into a
5.3
instance, this overwrites the "UI for 5.3" with the "UI for 5.1" and the pages
are not migrated as a result.

Because your server has no internet access, you basically have two options to
upgrade them:

 a) do it the "old style" way by importing the
xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki-all-5.3.xar,
    carefully excluding the pages you should not upgrade.
    As you already noticed this has some drawbacks

 b) give the server an "upgrade repository" of the file system

   To do this:
   - pick an (empty) directory, e.g. /opt/xwiki-repo
   - create the necessary directories to place the import package
     that is:
/opt/xwiki-repo/org/xwiki/enterprise/xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki/5.3/
   - place the xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki-5.3.xar
     and the xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki-5.3.pom  from

http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/xwiki/enterprise/xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki/5.3/
     in that directory
   - tell the server to use this repository;
     for this edit the WEB-INF/xwiki.properties - look for a line like:

       #
extension.repositories=local:maven:file://${sys:user.home}/.m2/repository

     copy uncomment and edit it to:

       extension.repositories=local:maven:file:///opt/xwiki-repo

  Preferably this should be done after upgrading the *.war and before starting
  the server for the first time after the upgrade of the *.war
  You should see the Distribution Wizard kick in after you start the server
  and log in with an admin account, allowing you to upgrade the wiki.

I did something similar to that (actually supplying a somewhat modified
version of the main UI for my own ends) and it worked -- but I needed a few
attempts
to weed out my stupid typos, duh. Typical error: the distribution wizard cannot
find
the upgrade package for "org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki" and
version "5.3" which means there is a typo in the property ...

Cheers,
Clemens