Hi all,

I'm very pleased to announce two new extensions to come out of XWikiSAS Research
and the RESILIENCE Research project.

Number One: WebSockets in XWiki!
If you're an extension developer like me, you want events, you want stuff in the
browser to be talking to stuff in the wiki and you don't want to be messing
around
with Jetty and Tomcat and all different kinds of libraries and configuration
every
time you need to write an application. You just want stuff that works.
Here it is:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/WebSocket
Include this as a dependency for your extension and the Extension Manager will
automatically include it when users install your extension. In just a few lines
of
code, your users can be chatting and collaborating through the websocket and
it's
based on Netty (Special thanks to the Atmosphere project for developing
Nettosphere)
so it works in all versions of Tomcat and Jetty and does not need any changes
to the
front-end server, just open a port on the JVM machine and you're done.

Number Two: A new Realtime Collaborative WikiText Editor.
Indeed this is not the first attempt at Realtime Collaborative editing but
perhaps
it is the most academically amusing. Really this is a prototype to get a handle
on
the technology before we make the leap into Realtime WYSIWYG. Whereas the
previous
Realtime Collaborative WikiText editor had performance issues and was unable to
handle large pasted, the new editor uses a completely novel design which is
intended
to not only port well to WYSIWYG editing but is implemented entirely on the
client
with the server only relaying messages, making it portable to different web
frameworks.

Check out the Realtime Collaborative WikiText Editor here:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/RealTime+Wiki+Editor

or install it with the Extension Manager to give it a try for yourself.

Disclamer: This is still new and might not work properly on all browsers, it
certainly
will not work without websocket support.

Thanks,
Caleb