... and ... because I had explicitly granted View right to the unregistered user on those two spaces, I had to do the same for the XWikiAllGroup too, even though that group had the View right at the wiki level. Otherwise as soon as ordinary user logged in, he lost colors and skin!

I think this is because of this rule in the Security Module:

/When a right has been allowed at a given level, it get explicitly denied to anyone else at the same level. For example, if edit right is allow at document level to userA only, it will be denied to any other userB, unless this userB receive an implied edit right with a different inheritance policy at a higher level (userB is admin for example).//

/