For legacy reasons. A long time ago, having dots in document names was
not really working, since a dot separates the document's space and name.
Plus the fact that users are just documents in the wiki.

This restriction is no longer relevant, except that there's a lot of
code that needs to be revisited to remove this restriction.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu