The velocity tools are not automatically created for groovy scripts
The closest you can get is to create them manually in your script, like:

 def jsontool = new org.xwiki.velocity.tools.JSONTool()

I feel there should be a better way to do that, but it works this way.
(it is likely that using groovy.json.JsonBuilder() works, too, but I have not
tried)

Clemens