Actually i did not restart the distribution wizard again.
I presume a restart of xwiki was needed for some reason to actually load
the permissions set.

I am still getting weird warnings and exceptions like:
org.xwiki.security.authorization.AccessDeniedException: Access denied when
checking [admin] access to [Wiki xwiki] for user [xwiki:XWiki.or]
or
Admin right is required to install extension
[org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-user-ui-5.0.2] on namespace [wiki:xwiki]

Caused by: class org.xwiki.extension.InstallException: Admin right is