Hi Jason,

For customizing search suggest and adding a new source, you can have a look
at the documentation of the Search Application [1] and perhaps some with
more details on the Solr Search Application [2].

For customizing the solr search UI, have a look at the corresponding
section [3] in the Solr Search Application.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
Eduard

[1]