http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Logging+Module#HGetaLoggerfromscript
allows logging without programming right but if you don't care about
required right and are admin you can use Groovy to "inject" that
logger for you (there is no pure Velocity solution here since Velocity
API is very simple but also very limited).

Should be something like:

{{groovy}}
logger = org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger("whatever you want here")
{{/groovy}}

{{velocity}}
$logger.info("foobar")
{{/velocity}}

Alternatively you can replace the xwiki-platform-logging-script jar
file you have in WEB-INF/lib by the 6.1 one you can find in
http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-logging-script/6.1/
and that should work if you are not in a too old version compared to
6.1 (which one is it by the way ?).

Thomas Mortagne