On 13 Oct 2014 at 09:11:20, Manuel Smeria
(man...@xwiki.com(mailto:man...@xwiki.com)) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think users want to see examples of migrations from version X to Y
> instead of the current documentation.
>
> For example my previous mini tutorial could be used here :
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HUpgradingthewebapp
> rather than what is currently written.

I think 90% of what you wrote is already there. Free free to integrate the 10%
missing, that’s exactly what I meant by “Would be great to understand how we
can improve http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade to make
it extra clear what you have to do.” :)

Basically instead of responding to the user which helps 1 user I prefer the
approach of fixing the doc which helps N users (see
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Contributing#HStrategiesforansweringquestions).

This is what I tried to do by adding a section to the documentation for Maik’s
need. Now I need to know if what I did helped or not ;)

BTW your mini tutorial is not fully correct since it means potentially loosing
new configuration options.

> Also we could bundle the Java connectors for all the supported DBs into
> XWiki by default, but that's a different issue :)

I don’t think Maik wanted to migrate DB, at least that’s not what he said. But
yes we should probably also have a tutorial for moving from one DB to another
(although we do already have a backup/export page and moving DB is exactly
that: export then reimport, either at DB level or at XAR level).

PS: One possible issue with Maik’s case is that he may not be a java person. He
may not even know how Servlet Container work. This is what I added the new
section which doesn’t require any knowledge of Java/Servlet container (no need
to even know what a WAR is).