I asked:
>> I'd like to upload files through a custom File Upload servlet that runs from
>> the
>> same Tomcat server but is not part of XWiki.
[...]

Marius said:
> See http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/HTML5Upload for
> how to use the file upload widget inside XWiki.

This has been helpful, thanks. Is it possible for me to get hold of any xwiki
session information within my external servlet? I'd like to know the XWiki name
of the user that's uploading the file.

Presumably one way would be to include the user name in the form request,
though  browsing through some of the code
(https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/stable-6.2.x/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-web/src/main/webapp/resources/uicomponents/widgets/upload.js)
 it looks at first glance that there's no way to add this unless I paste them
as GET variables in the action URL.

Alternatively if the file submission has corresponding session data (not sure
whether this is the case) would it be possible for my servlet to request the
user name from XWIki in some way?