On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM, D R <rir....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in our company we used the standalone version of XWiki for testing and are
> very satisfied with it so we want to migrate to the new version and a more
> robust setup.
>
> The setup is Windows Server 2003 R2 (sadly only 32 bits) with Apache 2.4,
> MySQL 5 and Tomcat 7.
>
> XWiki 6.3 is setup now including a Wiki Template so I'd like to migrate the
> data I exported as XAR from the 5.4.5 standalone instance.
> My approach was exporting data from 5.4.5, creating the Wikis using the
> template and importing the spaces and pages from the XAR export.
>
> The issue I'm facing is Java heap size which constantly gets in my way. As
> we're on a 32 bits system I can only assign ~1.2 GB of memory (the server
> has 4GB).
> This limitation makes it impossible to import the data into the new setup.
> I tried general export/import via administration page and the various
> options using the Admin Tools Application but on one of both ends I always
> get the out of memory error.
>
> - Using normal export/import: Export works but import throws the error
> - Admin Tools - Export pages and spaces: Export works but import throws the
> error
> - Admin Tools - Large Export on Disk: the heap size error is thrown

Quite frankly the one in Admin Tools should change it's name since
it's far from supporting anything close to large...

> Do you have any suggestions/hints on how I can migrate the spaces and pages
> I have in the 5.4.5 setup to the 6.3 one?

The extensions that have the less memory footprint (probably by far) I
can think of are
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Large+Wiki+Export
and http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Large+XAR+Import
so you might want to try them. Note that at least for export it's
fixed in 6.2 but for import even if it's been improved a lot the way
the UI work you still have to be able to attach your attachment.

> Thanks in advance,
> Dennis

Thomas Mortagne