From: "vinc...@massol.net" <vinc...@massol.net>
To: "Bryn Jeffries" <bryn.jeffr...@sydney.edu.au>, "XWiki Users"
<users@xwiki.org>
Subject: [xwiki-users] Guidance on sponsoring
Date: Thu, Dec 4, 2014 19:14

Hi Bryn,

On 4 Dec 2014 at 01:58:25, Bryn Jeffries
(bryn.jeffr...@sydney.edu.au(mailto:bryn.jeffr...@sydney.edu.au)) wrote:

> The consortium that I am currently working for is interested in using XWiki
> for managing its projects and performing some reporting. Supporting this is
> beyond my current skillset and availability, so I'm interested in sponsoring
> this work. I know the sponsor system is quite new, but I'd appreciate any
> guidance on how one should determine a reasonable fee for such work. What
> sort of amount is likely to generate sufficient interest from active XWiki
> developers?

May I suggest that you look at the professional support page:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Support

The companies listed will do support but also specific/custom development.

Now your other options is also to use sponsorfreedem and place one or several
bounties with a price tag and hope someone from the community will pick them
up. I have no idea regarding the price and what would be acceptable though, as
you say it’s new. You could check the stats here
https://freedomsponsors.org/stats/ and see which bounties were done and paid.
You could also check the amounts listed at https://www.bountysource.com/.

So you have 2 options for custom dev:
- professional: more expensive but done professionally, quickly, within your
schedule, with support thereafter if bugs are found
- community: less expensive but not sure someone will get interested and less
sure about deadlines

So I guess it depends on the budget you have and your timeline.

Hope it helps,
-Vincent

PS: Maybe we should put a FAQ with this content somewhere on
xwiki.org<http://xwiki.org>, WDYT?