It seems that now, you should be able to increase the file size limit in
XWiki preferences (upper to 32M).  This configuration parameter is still
used in the wiki.

To be more precise, without file storage attachment disabled,
attachments are directly loaded into the RAM of the JVM... and this is
what make it explode most of the time.  With file storage attachment
enabled, the attachment is not loaded in the RAM of the JVM and then,
you don't have the problem anymore.

However, and these are the tricky points.  It seems that even with file
storage attachment enabled, you will still reach the problem of RAM in
JVM if you try to export a page in XAR (because the JVM will need to
load the attachment in RAM to generate the export).  Moreover, it will
be the same for deleting the wiki page (since system use export
functionality to move it to the recycle bin).  But for the deletion,
there is a workaround: you can delete all the attachments before
deleting the page.  If you finally decide to restore the page, you can
restore it (which will restore the last version, therefore without
attachment) and then rollback the history to get back the attachments.

Hope this helps.