There is no real written specification for the XAR format so you will
have to look at the implementation. You can get most XML elements
names in
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-xar/src/main/java/org/xwiki/xar/internal/model
classes for example.

That being said IMO the easiest for your need would be to write a
Input Filter for MediaWiki and then can reuse XAR output filter. See
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter+Module and
you can find input/output XAR and input Confluence filters on
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-filter/xwiki-platform-filter-streams
to provide you with well tested examples.