I  wrote:
>> I have several scripts (Groovy and Velocity) that generate output that
>> should not be rendered as a Wiki page. This is necessary, for example, when
>> rendering JSON. As documented before
>> (http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Output+JSON) , it's
>> possible to allow such content by including request parameters xpage=plain
>> and outputSyntax=plain. However, this approach requires all pages that refer
>> to the script to remember to include these parameters, which is rather error
>> prone.
>>
>> Is there a way for a script to explicitly disable rendering instead?

Vincent replied:
> Yes, there is :)
>
> For Groovy, seeĀ
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Script+Macro
> (check the output and wiki parameters)
>
> For Velocity, seeĀ
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Velocity+Macro
> (same parameter names).

OK, so trying both options with a content body

{{velocity output="false" wiki="false"}}
$response.setContentType('application/json')
{
"greeting" : "Hello",
"location": "World"
}
{{/velocity}}

I get a document of Content-Script-Type  text/javascript but with a 38KB file
of HTML containing the usual Wiki page content, which I'd like to avoid. I
think if I explicitly set xpage=plain in the request then the template skips
rendering this stuff, but what I was wondering was whether I could set this
from within my script instead.