Hi Randy,

thanks for your feedback on this! I'm happy to see that I wasn't the only
one who found this behavior counter-intuitive. It's very, very weird that
page creation from the home page behaves differently from everywhere else
on the wiki. It's particularly bad since that's the page users always end
up going back to. But the thing is, without this behavior it's not clear
how users would be able to create new top-level spaces... So if we bring
back the old behavior as-is we'd still have to find a solution for
top-level space creation.

A suggestion I had now that nested spaces are activated by default was to
make the home page of the wiki be "above" every other space. Said
differently, the home page would reside directly at
https://<server>/xwiki/bin/view/
without anything else being mentioned. From that page you'd be able to
create top-level spaces, and every other page would behave as expected,
including Main.WebHome. I think this is what would feel the most natural,
but it causes many underlying issues, notably because a page with no
document reference cannot really exist in XWiki right now.

Note that we could also offer migration scripts, as discussed below, so
that content wouldn't be created in Main to begin with, but this still
leaves the problem open for old wikis with no clear content migration path.
Maybe we should strongly warn users not to upgrade to 7.4 from versions =<
7.1 without a lot of testing and until we provide a good migration path. We
could also start a page listing known issues.

Thanks,

Guillaume