Hi,

As per the documentation [1], have you tried using HTTP Auth? Your
application can be Java or it can even be a bash script using the cURL
command, just to an HTTP PUT

Thanks,
Eduard

P.S.: The comments section [2] of the documentation doc also seem to have
the information you seem to need. If they prove to be up to date, it would
be a good idea to include them in the documentation itself, maybe in the
examples sections, what do you think?

[1]
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/XWikiRESTfulAPI#HAuthentication
[2]