> The workaround you suggested didn't have any effect. To analyse the problem a
> bit further (and verify that I was creating the translation page correctly),
> I inserted a spelling error in the Translations page. The spelling error was
> displayed as expected if I deployed the app to a path other than ROOT. But
> in ROOT that translation page is still not used. Maybe this one is a
> candidate for Ripley's Believe It or Not.

This is really odd. Next time I need to exercise my admin skills I hope I am
able to reproduce it with exactly your setup.
Just deploying as root-webapp is not enough (at least for me).

A tentative explanation is that the translated part (the "por página de") is
directly rendered in the HTML of the wiki page,
while the untranslated parts ("Results ... out of ..." ) are inserted via
JavaScript.

This means that:
  a) either the javascript code was not fetched with the right language (it
should have a "?language=pt_BR" appended to it)
  b) it has been fetched, but as an old version, maybe before the server has
been configured to use pt_BR; i.e. it is a caching issue

> I did all of the new translations via the
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/
> <http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/>   site (logging in there and
> making the edits on the forms). Then I downloaded the Application Resource
> file. Do I still need to do a github pull request or send you the files?

No, that is the right place to add the translations, actually. I forgot to
check they are already there,
and would have to upload them manually if you'd send a pull request. So you
manage to do it the right way despite of my misleading advice ;)

The new translations should be updated with the next release of these
extensions.
Thanks a lot for the contribution!

> I corrected one spelling error in the core resources before the 7.4 release
> and noticed that the correction was automatically included in 7.4. I guess
> the core is built using a different process than the extensions.

Yes, for the XWiki platform core syncing the translations from l10n into the
code base on github
is part of the release process. (As via
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleasePlans/ReleasePlanHelp#HUpdateTranslations)