xwiki.authentication.ldap.bind_DN and
xwiki.authentication.ldap.bind_pass dont have to be static. It's
usually better to make them dynamic (no ned to put a clear asmin
password in a configuraton file), the only use case where it's should
be static IMO is whan users are not allowed to search or navigate in
to group members.

In the standard xwiki.cfg each field is documented, for example for
user_search_fmt you have:

#-# LDAP query to search the user in the LDAP database (in case a
static admin user is provided in
#-# xwiki.authentication.ldap.bind_DN)
#-# {0} is replaced with the user uid field name and {1} with the user name
#-# The default is ({0}={1})
# xwiki.authentication.ldap.user_search_fmt=({0}={1})

Here is an example: if the LDAP user field containing the uid is "cn"
and you are putting "toto" in the authentication form when you
authenticate, XWiki will execute the following LDAP query to search
for the user DN in the LDAP server: "cn=toto". Then by default (this
is controled by validate_password property) it will validate the
password by executing a LDAP bind with the found DN and the password
you gave it in the authentication form (then it will go back to the
configured bindDN/password to do the synchronization).

I never saw anyone set a custom query in there (you don't have to set
something when the bind DN is static).

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Frank Thommen
<f.thom...@dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone explain (or provide links to documentation) how XWiki's LDAP
> authentication using "xwiki.authentication.ldap.ldap_user_search_fmt" works?
> I understand, that XWiki binds using xwiki.authentication.ldap.bind_DN and
> xwiki.authentication.ldap.bind_pass (which are configured as static user),
> but how does it then continue to check the user's password against the one
> in the LDAP/DA?
>
> In the configuration examples I found, this parameter is usually not used,
> however in the old installation I'm supposed to migrate it is.  I need to
> find out how that works, to decide if we should go on with it or no.  I've
> had a look at some of the Java libraries (XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl.java and
> XWikiLDAPUtils.java but they didn't help me very much (not being very
> proficient in Java).  Any hint or link to some more in-depth documentation
> (deeper than
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Authentication but above
> sourcecode level) is highly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Frank

Thomas Mortagne