On 04/13/2016 03:10 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>>> On 05 Apr 2016, at 19:28, Peter Huisman <p.huis...@ximm.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> From the XWiki source code, I see there is a difference in passing a
>>> document to the evenmanager:
>>>
>>> The DocumentDeletingEvent is passing a “new
>>> XWikiDocument(doc.getDocumentReference())"
>>> The DocumentUpdatedEvent (as an example) is passing the doc (the actual
>>> XWikiDocument)
>>>
>>> The difference is, that the Document passed in the DeleteEvent is a new
>>> XWikiDocument and not the XWikiDocument that is about to be deleted.
>>>
>>> Is there a reason why this difference exists?
>>
>> he code in the XWiki class doing the notify has been there for a long time
>> AFAICS:
>>
>> om.notify(new DocumentDeletingEvent(doc.getDocumentReference()),
>>     new XWikiDocument(doc.getDocumentReference()), context);
>>
>> However, I think it’s not correct. I think it should pass the document and
>> not a clone, because an Event Listener should be able to modify the instance
>> that’s going to be saved.
>
> It's a delete not a save so modifying it would be useless. I guess the
> intend here was to have the same kind of data than what you get with
> DocumentDeletedEvent.
>
> What is wrong and should be fixed is that the document sent with the
> event should have the real one as original document (exactly like it's
> done for DocumentDeletedEvent).

Thomas is right, the data sent in the event is supposed to be what the
database will contain after the event is done, and that's what will
(apparently, but not actually) be in the database after the delete: a
new blank document, and doc.originalDoc should be what was before the
change in the database. At least this was the original intention, all
events should behave like this, so that a diff can be computed between
doc and originalDoc regardless of what action happened to the document.

However, the Javadoc for DocumentDeletingEvent is misleading:
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-bridge/src/main/java/org/xwiki/bridge/event/DocumentDeletingEvent.java#L31

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/