I am using xwiki version 7.4.4, doing a war install.

I do use nginx infront of tomcat, but it is strictly for a reverse proxy and
SSL.

here is my nginx config.

server {
    listen          80;
    server_name     wiki.mydomain.com;
    rewrite         ^ https://$server_name$request_uri? permanent;
}

server {
    listen 443;
    server_name             wiki.mydomain.com;
    root /opt/tomcat/webapps/xwiki;

    ssl on;
    ssl_certificate         /etc/nginx/ssl/cert.crt;
    ssl_certificate_key     /etc/nginx/ssl/key.key;

    ssl_session_timeout 5m;

    ssl_protocols SSLv3 TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
    ssl_ciphers "HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5 or HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5:!3DES";
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;

    if ($scheme = http) {
        return 301 https://$server_name$request_uri;
    }

    location / {
        rewrite ^ $scheme://$server_name/xwiki$request_uri? permanent;
    }

    location ^~ /xwiki {
      # If path starts with /xwiki - then redirect to backend: XWiki
application in Tomcat
      proxy_set_header        Upgrade $http_upgrade;
      proxy_set_header        Connection 'upgrade';
      proxy_set_header        Host $host;
      proxy_cache_bypass      $http_upgrade;
      proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
      proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
      proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
      proxy_pass http://localhost:8080/xwiki;

    }
}