Two possibilities:
* you have a javascript engine (Nashorn) provided with the JDK (at
least the Oracle one and OpenJDK) so no need to do anything in that
case
* Nashorn is not part of the JRE but it's compatible with it so you
can take the nashorn.jar from the JDK or build your own JRE version
(see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28054849/nashorn-script-engine-is-null-on-java-8-se-embedded).
Note that I never tested that, just found it when Googling a bit.

Then you use what you suggested in your mail.