Hi Stefan,

> On 18 Aug 2016, at 13:53, Stefan Taferner <t...@porscheinformatik.at> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> The day after upgrading http://selfbus.myxwiki.org to 8.2.1, I found a
> handful of spammer accounts that were created as local users in the wiki.
>
> The wiki was configured to
>
> * Only an admin can send invitations to join this wiki
> * Both global and local users are available in the wiki
>
> Interestingly this still allows new users to be registered.
> Also strange is that the registration captcha does not show as it should also.
>
> The wiki is now set to allow only global users, so there is no immediate
> problem.
> I only wanted to report my observations, as it looks like a bug in xwiki to
> me.

Whether someone can create an account depends on the “register” permission for
guest. This is what you need to configure for your wiki.

Global/Local user simply defines where the user accounts can be created (on the
main wiki - ie global -, or on the local wiki - ie local).

On the main wiki we allow everyone to register accounts :)