An alternative to Solution 1, step 2 (ovewriting the "less/style.less.vm")
you could try this:

Solution B:
1. In your skin, add the "less/advanced.less", as in
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/ColorThemeforFlamingo/Advanced_step1.png
2. in your Flamingo Theme, add a SSX object, with Content Type: LESS (if
you need velocity, you can make it parsable + I've made it global for the
whole wiki, but you can manually call it) and write
"@import("advanced.less");". Apparently the LESS compiler is looking only
on files that are in the flamingo/less file system folder. So that's all
you need to write, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/ColorThemeforFlamingo/Advanced_step2B.png

So besides this "less/advanced.less" you can break your code in as many
file as you need.

Hope this helps,
Caty