Yes, this is the expected behaviour.

 The rationale behind this is that users with "Programming" right can add
scripting content to pages
that does not need to pass the usual permission checks; this is sometimes
necessary for some "advanced" UI operations.
 As a consequence every user with "Programming" rights can give itself also
Admin rights by writing scripted content that just does so.
This makes it pointless not to give then admin rights as well.

More in this on the permission reference page:

  http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Permission+types/

Cheers
Clemens