I know xwiki can import various kinds of data one at a time per
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/Imports. Here is my more
complex scenario.

We have been adding text files, or doc files, to a windows file system set
of folders. The normal pattern has been something like this:

*-dir root*
--*dir acronis backup*
---*dir 20150101 install on server01*
----text file somename.txt
---*dir 20150520 update to version x.x*
----text file re.txt
----image screenshot01.png
--*dir backblaze*
---*dir 20140105 install and configure*
----txt file re.txt
etc

So, there are topic areas at the highest level (acronis, backblaze) and
normally under them folders named for the date (20150101) with a title
(install on server01). Inside the folder is a mix of text files, word
documents, and images.

I would use the top level folder as a category or topic area inside xwiki.
I would use the date as a data point on the wiki entry, to make sure I can
sort by date of occurrance.

The text or word files are often named re.txt. Sometimes they have a more
distinctive name, but mostly the file name is not a viable name for a wiki
entry. The second part of the folder name would be better for that.

So, no one needs to parse all the details of our existing folder/file hive.
I realize there is no way that any wiki system can simply import and
translate that into something that would be presentable inside the wiki. I
expect to write some code (non-php, I'd probably use vb) that traverses the
hive that we have, and writes elements of what it finds into an xml file or
something else that can otherwise be pulled into xwiki. the text and doc
files would be converted into pages and the images...I'm not familiar enough
with xwiki to know if it'd be best to leave those files in place on the disk
and simply references them in the related wiki entry, or better to move them
into the wiki system somehow.

I could even write the wiki entries directly into the database. xwiki has an
api, possibly that would be useful for this purpose?

Probably an issue that has been encountered many times in the past. I'd
appreciate any tips and or pointers to articles about this.