The main issue with Confluence usually is that there is no real export
format for Confluence and they just dump the database in XML so
depending on the version there is sometime big differences. I tested
the importer with several version of Confluence but not all of them,
far from it.

If you can share some Confluence package you exported and that you
can't import with Confluence input filter don't hesitate to create an
issue in http://jira.xwiki.org with steps to reproduce and I can try
to debug and fix it.