Here are the mysql database creation instructions on FreeBSD that finally
worked for me:

*In the mysql console...*
*mysql -u root -p *
(enter password in *.mysql_secret* file)
*SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('my_new_password');*
*exit*

*In the FreeBSD command line...*
*mysql -u root -p -e "create database xwiki default character set utf8
collate utf8_bin"**mysql -u root -p -e "grant all privileges on *.*
to xwiki@192.168.1.8 <xwiki@192.168.1.8> identified by 'xwiki'" **(Where
192.168.1.8 is the local IP. Replacing "192.168.1.8" with "localhost" did
not work for me.)*
*mysql -u root -p -e "flush privileges"*

*Check what things look like...**mysql -u root -p -e "select host from
mysql.user where user = 'xwiki'"*

| host         |
| 192.168.1.8 |