I finally had success.  How?  I stopped trying with 8.4.4.  I replicated the
config that I've been tearing my hair out over, on XWiki 9.1.2, and boom.

The information contained in this transmission may contain West Marine
proprietary, confidential and/or privileged
information.  It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of
this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email
and destroy all copies of the original
message. To reply to our email administrator directly, please send an email to
netad...@westmarine.com.