another reason for keeping noteId is uniqueness in case of multi-user
environments. In that case users have separate zeppelin workspaces, which is
something we are using in production: see ZEPPELIN_NOTEBOOK_PUBLIC=false in the
doc [1]. In that case users might be very confused when they can not create
notebooks with a name that already exists, but they most likely don't see (yet).

So I like the proposal {note_name}_{note_id}.zpln. where note_name could
contains folders, e.g. folder_1/mynote_abcd.zpln. Even though I like
{note_name}.{note_id}.zpln (dot in between note_name and note_id) even better
:-)

Regards
Andreas

[1]