I have had luck with a single Zepplin installation and  config directories
in each user home directory. That way each user gets their own instance and
will not interfere with each other.

You can start the Zepplin server with a config flag pointing to the config
directory. Simply copy the config dir that comes with Zepplin to
~/.zeppelin and edit the zeppelin-site.xml to change default port for each
user. Start like this:
./zeppelin.sh --config ~/.zeppelin start

--
Chris Matta
cma...@mapr.com