To all,
We in Georgia, with our deregulated natural gas market for the last year or
so, are being subjected to incredible percentage increases in natural gas
prices.
The maddening thing is that everything is in cubit feet and then translated
into british thermal units "therms" Everyone here is using the word "therm"
in just about every sentence. It has become a five letter "four letter
word".
I have some time this afternoon and am working on reading, filing and
deleting messages from my inbox. I am down to 424 to go.
Norm
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph B. Reid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 2001February19 18:37
Subject: [USMA:11141] Re: Energy price $/GJ
Greg wrote in USMA 11129
>I calculate my electrical power using MJ or GJ, not GW·s nor kW·h
>
>greg
>
>
>>>> Joseph B. Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2001-02-19 11:18:14 >>>
>Gregory Peterson wrote in USMA 11129:
>
>>There is a reason why the electrical companies don't want to convert kW·h
>>to joules for domestic pricing.
>
>
>
>The reason is that the kilowatt-hour is much more comprehenible than a
>gigawatt-second. No household uses a gigawatt, and calculating time by the
>hour is much more usual than by the second. Hence speed limits are in km/h
>rather than m/s. I am afraid that we are stuck with Babylonian time units.
>
>Joseph B. Reid
The gigawatt-second is a gigajoule, but that is still more incomprehensible
to the average householder. Do I understand that you translate your
electricty bills from kilowatt-hours to gigajoules before you pay them.
Joseph B. Reid
17 Glebe Road West
Toronto M5P 1C8 Tel. 416 486-6071