Last Sunday I returned home. I got the Ryanair plane from 07:40 to Brussels
South, Charleroi.

I think that the plane almost crashed just before touch down. I have never
experienced a landing as the one on that flight. It began with a very sharp
turn to line up with the runway. During the last minute of the approach
the plane, an old ex-KLM B737-200, made very violent movements. The wings
went up and down! I think that there was windshear or turbulence because of
the hot weather (28 degrees and rising). I know that planes have smashed on
the runway while approaching in the past because of such turbulence. When I
got off the plane, I walked into the glare and heat of a scorching day. The
temperature reached 30 degrees and more.

Metrication in Ireland has not been advanced by the change to the euro. The
media and the retail trades remain the major stumbling blocks. Yes, on the
street market in Henry Street I saw decades-old scales with ditto
avoirdupois weights, the same kind of devices that were found on Thoburns
stall. There was no metric at all there.  I wonder whether such scales and
weights are still being verified and re-verified in Ireland? This is usually
done every year. If not, they are doubly illegal: non-metric and not
re-verified. I think that the government is afraid of creating metric
martyrs, and thus tolerates the sabotage of metrication by the retail
trades. The butchers especially are non-metric, they use their metric scales
to weigh out lbs and oz, and I think that when this goes wrong they say:
"Stupid metric system!" I have not seen any butchers' shop that even used
dual pricing; all in avoirdupois only. They really should have that "English
spoken here" BWMA-sticker on their shop window.
There are also supermarkets that price in the format euro per lb/0.45 kg,
the metric quote completely misses the point. In many places property is
increasingly advertised in metric or metric and Imperial.

Han
Historian of Dutch Metrication, Nijmegen, The Netherlands




Reply via email to