Hi Mike:
  Your comments made interested reading; but, talking of SI and Metrication: 
I have submitted that there is a need to change and change for GOOD. For a 
*World Calendar* with minimal changes and ease to be slipped for 'needs of 
tomorrow'. The Leap Week Rule is meant for this change; where the Descending 
Order Dating in tune with ISO 8601:1988 is implemntable and count of Weeks 
rather than 'months' take over. Decemalised HOUR using the existing 
HOUR-ANGLE, thus causing the minimal change and *perhaps* there may not be 
another *SIMPLEST, SUREST, CHEAPEST and cost-effective* suggession.
Brij Bhushan Vij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>From: "kilopascal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [USMA:21443] Re: Canadian coins
>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:29:56 -0400
>
>2002-07-31
>
>Interspersed comments below
>
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Mike Joy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Sent: Tuesday, 2002-07-30 02:36
>Subject: [USMA:21430] Re: Canadian coins
>
>
> > John,
> >
> > I'm 60 in 6 weeks time so you can wish me a happy birthday now!!!!
>
>Sure, why not?  Happy Birthday and many more!
>
> >
> > I assume you live in the US.
>
>Yes, in Ohio.  I'm 600 km from Toronto and 400 km from Niagara Falls..
>
> >
> > The reason mother England is struggling is the very reason I left that
>country in 1968. I wanted to
> > live in a country with a young, dynamic and youthful approach. Those 
>folk
>that choose to stay there
> > are happier with the original ways and tend to resist change. Those that
>like to be a part of change
> > for the better prefer to emigrate with their young family to young
>Commonwealth countries such as
> > Canada, New Zealand or Australia.
>
>There is more to it than that!  Mother England was once a great empire and
>that has bred arrogance among the population.  England spread its language,
>culture and measurement "system" to the ends of the earth.  Rejection of 
>the
>English measurement system by the world and having the competing metric
>system being required in England is a blow to the ego of the Imperialists
>who still have a strong nostalgia for the lost glory.  Metric is a daily
>reminder to these people that the empire is dead.  Th EU is more so
>reminder.  So, they hate both with a passion.
>
> >
> > As for the 'poor old crow', I was referring to the phrase 'as the crow
>flies', and after flying
> > across the Nullabor Plain then you'd feel like a beer too!! A bit of
>Aussie humour.
> >
> > As for my age I think I'm quite young mentally and sincerely hope that I
>can contribute in a
> > positive way for what is obviously going to be a difficult time for most
>Americans when it comes to
> > using unfamiliar measurements, but it really is a question of attitude.
>That's why I joined this
> > group because subscribers have a positive attitude towards the SI 
>system.
>
>
>Well, Mike, I hope you will be able to relate to us some of your experinces
>from those days when conversion was the topic of the day.  How you handled
>the change, how your friends and neighbours handled the change, and most
>important how those who resisted finally were able to adjust.  Even though
>you lived in Canada at the time, you must have discussed with your present
>neighbours from timt to time their memories from that time, and also your
>memories and experiences with your neighbours and friends in Canada.
>
>
> >
> > And it's this attitude that carried us through the changeover 
>successfully
>in these countries and
> > why the UK is resisting it.
>
>
>And don't forget, that "these countries" were subject lands of the empire.
>Australia is a place where england sent its criminals and unwanted, so the
>Australians most likely don't see things through the same pair of glasses 
>as
>the English do.
>
>
>
>Another reason for the UK's difficulties is the proximity to continental
> > Europe. For centuries there has been animosity between England and its
>neighbours across the
> > Channel, and having a French measuring system shoved down their throats 
>is
>just too much for most
> > Brits to bear. So, even knowing that the SI system is far better, they
>will hang on to the Imperial
> > system as long as possible out of spite. A shame, because it's the young
>ones who suffer and have to
> > put up with both systems at the same time.
>
>
>The system may be French in origin, but it is not French in nature nor
>structure.  The unit names that don't come from peoples names, as well as
>the original prefixes are all latin and Greek in origin.  Latin and Greek
>were the languages of science and culture in those days.  In fact, the 
>units
>that are named for frenchmen (Amp�re, Bequerel, Pascal) came much later.
>There are more units named after German and British scientists then French.
>Thus, to say it is French shows ignorance.  Opponents to metric always use
>this argrument and refuse to accept that metric (SI) is used in EVERY
>country.  Can you imagine what the BWMA must think of australia, New
>Zealand, South Africa and Canada.  From what I have heard, they scour these
>countries looking for people still in opposition and make it appear that 
>the
>real people of these countries don't use SI at all and still cling to
>imperial in their dail lives.  That if people had a real ,democratic 
>choice,
>they would prefer imperial over SI.  From your experience, how would you
>respond to such claims?
>
>
>
> >
> > Also, metrication is an EEC requirement, so naturally many people resent
>being told what to do by
> > some bureaucrat sitting in a Brussels office (or that's how they see 
>it).
>Also there's the
> > 'heritage' issue.
>
>Again, because once you are a great empire telling everyone else what to do
>it is impossible for you to have others tell you what to do.  And as for 
>the
>heritage issue, that is an excuse used by arrogant has-beens angry over 
>loss
>of empire, and as you noted spitefullness.
>
> >
> > I was living near Toronto at the time Canada, Australia and NZ changed
>over and although it went
> > well, there was (and still is in Alberta) some animosity in having 
>Pierre
>Trudeau's government
> > shoving bilingualism and metrication down Canadian's throats. But this 
>has
>settled down now and folk
> > can see the obvious benefits of using SI.
>
>
>When I was in Alberta last year, I did not notice any anti-metric attitude.
>The people freely
>used some units, like degrees Celsius, and others they stillused the old.
>Most packaging I saw in the stores was metric only.  Food at the deli
>counter was priced and marked per 100 g.  The only things I saw in pound
>pricing was some items like apples and potaotes that were prepackaged, but
>still sold by weight.  The unit price was in dollars per pound in big font
>and dollars per kilogram in small font.  This was done because kilogram
>prices seem more expensive.  And100 g prices seem cheaper.
>
>In spoken terms, people still used miles, even though everything was signed
>in metric and the auto speed/odometers were metric.  Their excuse was the
>land was laid out in quarter mile sections.  But, it seemed they
>
> >
> > In Australia and NZ there was no French influence to cause such 
>concerns,
>and it was just a matter
> > of learning unfamiliar units. It was easier to swallow 20c for a litre 
>of
>gas than 90c for an imp.
> > gallon!!!
> >
> > The only result of my experience with changeovers (and I include other
>just-as-important changeovers
> > I have been in, such as VAT, GST, Pounds-shillings-pence to decimal, 
>12hr
>clock to 24hr) is that of
> > attitude. Either you start using new units as if you've always used them
>or you don't. The people
> > who can forget the old system on switchover day are the ones who don't 
>get
>ulcers and are the clear
> > winners, just as kids today are born with keyboards in their hands and
>therefore know more about PCs
> > than we'll ever know!
> >
> > The main lesson I can give is to NOT use a dual system. I saw a National
>Geographic documentary a
> > few days ago (The Sea Hunters) which was an effort to 'metricate'. The
>narrator kept saying things
> > like "100 meters or 328.08 feet" for every time he mentioned a dimension
>or distance, and ruined the
> > film. He definitely should never have mentioned inch-pound units, which
>detracted greatly from the
> > text.
>
>This is an American thing.  Once on a jobsite, I was asked if I had any 
>data
>on signal loss to a remote set of meters.  I handed the guy a sheet that
>explained that for a certain size wire, there would be a 1 % loss in
>accuracy of the meter at 50 m.  He looked at the sheet and looked and me 
>and
>asked, "Is that 150 feet?".  So, as not make an issue, I said, "I think 
>so".
>The point is, if he knew that, why did he have to say it outloud?  It is as
>if there is some need to give attention to FFU.
>
>
>
>
> >
> > Some tips - use something you're familiar with to estimate a dimension. 
>I
>used to work with 8mm film
> > so I know exactly what an item of that width is. I used to run in the 
>100m
>races so I know how far
> > 100m is. Our milk comes in 1 or 2-litre cartons so I know what 1 or 2kg
>feels like.
> >
> > The best aid I have for measurement is what I was born with, which is my
>index finger. As luck would
> > have it the distance from my knuckle-bone to the tip of my index finger 
>is
>exactly 100mm, and this
> > is very handy for measuring things. By laying your finger on the item to
>be measured, using a
> > fingernail on your left hand as a marking point and continuing on in 
>100mm
>increments then
> > guesstimating the remaining portion with your finger, (eg. � finger is
>75mm) I've never been more
> > than 2% out. I hope it will work for you too!
> >
> > Similarly, the width of my thumb when pressed flat is 25mm.
>
>My thumb is 23 mm at its widest point and from the knuckle to the tip of 
>the
>thumb is exactly 30 mm  My FOOT is 250 mm from the tip of my big toe to my
>heal.
>
>It seems the body parts when used as measurement devices come out closer to
>rounded metric izes than to FFU.  It seems despite the propaganda of the
>BWMA, we can use our body parts to accurately estimate metric amounts, more
>closely than English
>
>
>
> >
> > No doubt you will find familiar everyday items to use as permanent
>measuring guides.
> >
> > I think Pat Naughtin may have already passed on his wise words to the
>group in previous months from
> > an Australian perspective and I don't want to risk the possibility of
>repeating or altering what he
> > may have said in the past.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Mike
> > Perth, Australia
>
>
>
>
>
>John




_________________________________________________________________
Join the world�s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

Reply via email to