2002-07-31

I made a similar observation on this matter to this list a year or so ago.
I thought if the inch would have been set to 25.6 mm, then products made or
designed in fractional inches could be considered hidden metric.

In fact, when I work on older inch based CAD drawings and rescale them to
metric when I go to make modifications, I use a scaling factor of 25.6 so
the metric dimensions come out more rational.  It actually works out very
nice.

I guess the reason it never was 25.6 was that during the year they took the
measurement to compare, the barley corns weren't as plump as in other years.

John


----- Original Message -----
From: "Markus Kuhn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, 2002-07-31 07:18
Subject: [USMA:21449] Inch


> It just occured to me, had the inch been chosen to be 25.6 mm instead of
> 25.4 mm, then all commonly used binary inch fractions would have been
> multiples of 0.1 mm, something that no doubt would have significantly
> simplified metrication in many industries.
>
> 1/2 in = 12.8 mm, 1/4 in = 6.4 mm, 1/8 in = 3.2 mm, 1/16 in = 1.6 mm, etc.
>
> Just a thought, unfortunately two centuries too late ... :(
>
> Markus
>
> --
> Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
> Email: mkuhn at acm.org,  WWW: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>
>

Reply via email to