From: Remek Kocz
Sent: 06 Nov 10, Friday 15:05
Subject: [USMA:37470] More metric products.

Just within this week I spotted a few more metric products on the shelf.  Pictures are attached.

First is Gold Peak tea.  I'm in Rochester, NY, and I haven't seen it in our two major supermarkets (Wegman's and Tops).  I picked it up, instead, in a hospital cafeteria, purely by chance.  Notice that the 500 mL is not in parentheses.  As a side note, I've noticed that a few more teas are available in 500 mL sizes, with Nestle's boldly proclaiming the "1/2 liter" size on the multipack wrapper.  I hope that this nudges the most recognizable name in bottled teas, Snapple, to change their 473 mL pints to 1/2 liters.

Second is the new line of Cacao Reserve chocolates from Hershey.  100 g size.  They've taken the cue from Cadbury's chocolates, which have been sold as 100 g tablets in the US for a while.  It's interesting to notice that while Cadbury's uses a nicely rounded 3.5oz for the USC size, Hershey labels it as 3.53oz.  BTW, the chocolate is excellent, better than Cadbury's, and close in taste to the German Milka.

Third is another coupon.  It's no secret that Listerine has been metric for a while.  But what's new is the fact that they're starting to advertise the product in metric.  And Listerine throws in a little teaching device, telling the consumer that the coupon is valid on sizes 500 mL or larger.  I don't know if the average consumer knows a) what mL is, and b) how many mL in a liter.  But, seeing the 500 mL & 1 L Listerine bottles side by side on a shelf will provide an instant lesson.   Listerine also has occasional 250 mL bottle free with the purchase of 1 L, which is clearly indicated on the packaging, in metric only.

Remek