Jon,

What I see happening in the U.S. is this: that the American people do have an
understanding that metric is a better system and it prevalent in the world, and
several columnists have written pieces about their support for U.S. metrication
in principle. However, I do not see American consumers and industries actively
seeking to use metric units yet.  If you can provide some new examples showing
that the people have joined Congress in preferring metric for commerce, I and
many other folks would be quite interested.

What the U.S. needs is political and industrial leadership to spark the popular
preference for metric.

Paul T.